Three to go! It took awhile, and I ended up learning some new software, but that ended up being fun, and I got the holiday anthology formatted for both e-book and print, and the print proof on its way to me already. For my first two books, Word worked out just fine provided I proofed the whole book to make sure it wasn’t hyphenating words in stupid places (which it does). But this anthology was my first time using CreateSpace, which flagged a couple of graphics that Word had reduced quality of for file size – to a lower resolution than it should have. Therefore, I switched to Adobe InDesign, professional page layout software that my day job employer thoughtfully provided along with the web design components I regularly use. I’ve been mostly out of the graphic design field for fifteen years now, so I’d never used it. However, the overall functionality was much the same as what I used to use way back then, so it was more a matter of learning the specific commands of how to do a particular thing, like set up page headers that could be different for each story. And wow, did it do a much better job than Word!
Here’s my week’s progress in detail:
- Format and upload Home for the Holidays anthology if all materials are received – Done!
- Physical activity 5x this week – Done!
- Hangar 18 – review and markup Chapters 1-3 – Done!
- Get it Together exercises 13 & 14 – No
- I got some more outlining done on my “just for me” project.
Here are my overall goals for this round:
- Format and release OVRWA holiday story anthology – Done and soon to be released!
- Revise Hangar 18 – revisions/markup started
- Keep up with my exercise, five times a week. – ongoing
- Finish the Get It Together exercises (description of that here) – completed sections 3 – 12
- Finish Home for the Holidays print book, and if proof received, correct if needed; otherwise OK it and make available for sale!
- Physical activity 5x this week
- Hangar 18 – review and markup Chapters 4-6
- Get it Together exercises 13 & 14
If you’re participating in ROW80, how are you doing so far? If not, how are you doing with whatever goals you may have made?